Monday, February 1, 2010

Who am I?

I feel like I often hide behind the perception of me that other people have. Many of their perceptions are false. Here is the truth of who I am.

Wife

Mother

Woman

Yet I don’t think I’m good at being any of these.

I’m 31 and married to a man who is 30, my kids and husband love to razz me about being the oldest member of the family.

I've been married for 11 1/2 years to my high school sweetheart. We got married at 18 and 19 and I love him more than I ever thought possible.

I’m introverted, I usually only leave the house because I have to and it’s usually only once or twice a week.

I home school my two oldest, I don’t really enjoy it, I’m not very good at it, but I feel like I’m called to do it during this point in their lives and I can’t even imagine sending them to school.

I have 6 kids and feel like God is prompting us to once again expand our family. I am also starting to have a growing heart for adoption but have also been told that my family may already be too large to be approved to add more children to it.

I love babies and want to somehow be involved with them for the rest of my life. I dream about being a midwife, or doula, or NICU nurse but those seem impossible.

I don’t enjoy playing with kids or playing kid games.

I enjoy sewing, but don’t do it very often. I have a lot of material and patterns purchased for all these projects I want to do someday.

My kids wear disposable diapers, I use paper towels and paper napkins. I don’t really care about being green, recycling or eating organic.

I like to save money. Even if it means shopping at 4 grocery stores a week.

My furniture doesn’t match, almost all of it was given to us, I have very few pictures on my walls, decorating is not important to me.

I don’t wear makeup, I feel like I don’t know how, but even if I did, I feel like it’s expensive and my husband doesn’t really care. I’ve never plucked or in any way shaped my eye brows.

I don’t really know how to make my hair look cute. I would love a cute cut, but have no idea what would look flattering.

I wear dresses or skirts to church because I like to even though most women in our church do not. In no way do I feel pressure to do this, and the rest of the week I am typically in sweat pants or pajama pants unless I have to leave the house then I wear jeans.

I am overweight (actually obese according to our Wii) and care only minimally. If I see pictures of myself I think, “Wow, I should lose some weight” but other than that I’m generally happy with myself. It helps that my husband doesn’t seem to mind or care.

I eat when I’m stressed or depressed. I started gaining weight after breaking up with my first serious boyfriend and then gained a lot after my dad passed away. Don’t tell Jillian Michaels, I think she’d yell at me.

I don’t think much about my dad. He passed away 11 years ago, and I don’t think he’d be proud of who I am today, but it’s easier to just not think about it.

I am adamantly opposed to Halloween celebrations in any shape or form including church sponsored Hallelujah nights. I never celebrated it as a child, my children will never celebrate it, but I don’t like conflict so I rarely discuss this with anyone.

My kids watch Disney, PBS shows and Dream Works movies. We don’t have cable, so they don’t watch much else. I think Word World on PBS taught my boys how to read.

My kids play computer games and have club penguin memberships.

My house is almost NEVER clean. Many people say it’s because we have 6 kids, but our house was a mess before kids and I’m sure it will be a mess after kids, of all the rooms in the house our room is BY FAR the worst.

My kids eat sugar cereal for breakfast almost every morning. My kids eat chicken nuggets or corn dogs most days for lunch.

My kids love fast food and have had plenty of happy meals in the lives.

I don’t mind making dinner every night as long as we have a plan in place. I don’t like coming up with a dinner idea at 4 in the afternoon.

I like to have something sweet every day, usually at night after the kids go to bed.

I’m a hypocrite because I make my kids make their beds every day yet my bed is almost never made.

I’m lazy.

I'm not a morning person. My kids wake me up most days and I have a hard time getting out of bed until 8:30 even if they get up at 7:30.

We are in debt. We are working at getting out, but we have more debt than we should and a lot if it is because of foolish selfish impulse purchases.

I spend way too much time on the computer, especially facebook and e-mail. I’ve given up facebook games, but it’s been hard.

I watch T.V. I enjoy Survivor, The Amazing Race, Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, The Modern Family, Lie to Me, Hell’s Kitchen, The Biggest Loser. I know I need to give up some of these shows, but so far have lacked the self-discipline to do so.

I don’t have daily quiet times. I know I should, but I don’t.

Every friend I’ve ever felt close with has either left me physically by moving away or emotionally. I’ve mainly felt rejected and shunned by most women and really struggle to make friendships or trust women.

I have a strong and overwhelming fear that Joel will pass away leaving me with all these children to rear. I’m not worried about the financial burden thanks to life insurance, but I do fear the loneliness that losing him would bring.

I’m not sure I truly believe that God cares about me or my life. If I did I think I’d live differently.

I miss my sisters, even though we’ve had rough relationships at times, they are really the only women I know I can trust no matter what. I wish they didn’t live so far away.

I’m not putting this out there to get any kind of pity, I just felt like maybe it would be freeing to let the truth be known.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I know how you feel about sisters. Friends come and go, but sisters (family) are still your family. No matter what. We are alike in so many ways, Alicia. We need to make time to hang out and "play!" Maybe we can encourage each other to good works and Godliness!

Unknown said...

That was beautiful, Alicia. I could have written so much of it. I too spend way too much time on the computer, my room is about six inches deep in clutter right now, I don't feel that I'm truly good at any of the roles that I play in life, and that tends to stress me out and sometimes lead to depression. But I've also found that being open and honest about who I am and where I'm at is extremely freeing, and actually opens my life up to change some of the things that I want to. When I am living authentically I am able to accept myself more and gradually work at changing the things I want to. I'm finally really living in this house, getting it organized, and starting to care about decorating after living here for 4 years, and I really feel it has to do with letting my truth out too. Hugs! I would love to get together sometime and catch up, and meet your beautiful children.

Joel said...

My Reaction:

You are lovely.

I am proud to be the only one for you.

http://www.playlist.com/searchbeta/results/413793809

(This song seems so ridiculously perfect especially for those who know the significance)

I do think you will be a doula. I really feel like God has put that desire there and and very interested why He has this on pause for now.

You hate all games not just kids games. the only reason you would chose to play a game is to show me how much you love me.

Someday we will both probably wear disposable diapers as well. (Al Gore is probably not that far off for that matter)

You are an amazing seamstress. Without any training you make such awesome things. (No they aren't "perfect" so stop thinking about the imperfections and know how amazing you are for even trying let alone the wonders that you create)

You don't need silly makeup. You are gorgeous just the way you are.

Dang seeing my fat mii get all huge was hard, but I blame me for this one. Too many good times had at Chili's and Red Robin so long ago.

Your Dad would LOVE who you have become. I wish our kids could have known him.

Dave Ramsey says our kids can't have happy meals any more. I emailed him and he said so.

You don't mind making dinner because the food you make is better than food you can get at restaurants. Stupid portion control diet!

I think you caught a farmville mouse using some cheese you made at your cafe.

What is it that makes us want snacks during biggest loser?

I wouldn't change a thing. You are the greatest wife/mother/woman I know. And I know even more dark secrets that you couldn't even post here. You truly are amazing and I can't believe how lucky I am to spend the rest of our lives together. I love you so much and am so thankful you spent the time thinking about who you are.

"if you could see what I see"

Mary Ann said...

Alicia, I don't know you well...I only knew "of" you in high school, but your transparency in this blog was heartfelt and sincere. I can particularly relate to your desire to be surrounded by babies and children always and how you desire to be a doula or be used in some other capacity that would keep you connected to your true passion. My husband and I have come across the biggest challenge in our marriage so far...to have or not to have more childen...I'm sure you know the desires of my heart! I would love to get a chance to talk to you personally someday if God would ever provide that opportunity! Over anyone else on facebook, God has used you (someone I barely know) to touch my heart and be someone I can so closely relate to. Thanks for your willingness to let God use you to bless others! By the way...love the song Joel mentioned in his comments!

dasunrisin said...

Thanks for sharing, Alicia.