Saturday, February 14, 2009

It's all hearts at the Dennis'.

For Valentine's Day I had seen a craft here to make salt dough and use heart shaped cookie cutters. I thought it sounded like harmless fun and knew the kids would enjoy it, so here are some pictures of our process.

Naomi adding the flour.







Josiah adding the water.





Nathaniel stirring the dough.







Joshua stirring the dough.





We did not have paints (besides that sounded too messy) so instead I thought we would use food coloring to dye the dough. It was all good in theory and actually worked okay, kind of gave it a tie-dye look, but I hadn't factored in that the dye would work extremely well on the kids hands as well. . .soap did not get the dye out. I had to bleach all their hands, but in the end they had fun, so mission accomplished I guess.
Here they are cooling on the rack, and finally the finished product!
And Valentine's morning I made chocolate chip pancakes for the kiddos. Here is what their breakfast looked like the morning of the 14th.

2 comments:

The Asimus 5 said...

well, i might just have to try it out...they turned out great....except i'll skip on the food coloring part..haha.....

Anonymous said...

far out alicia, I think the only thing I remember ever getting for valentine's day growing up was a paper card, and maybe some chocolates. Not an entire activity and chocolate chip loveheart pancakes. You totally win the cool-er mom contest