Thursday, March 6, 2008

Why I never leave the house!


So today we ventured out to a "critter show" at the mall. It was free to "pet" the animals (snakes, lizards and a tarantula!!) There was also a craft of painting a flower pot and planting seeds, getting your face painted and balloon animals. All of which were free activities. Sounds like a really fun time, and to some extent it was, but it was SOOOO crowded! There were 100's of kids and mommies and a few brave daddies and the whole event was fairly chaotic. I set the ground rules for the kids in the car before we got there and for the most part the did very well staying with me and obeying without too much whining.

Josiah got to touch a snake, Josh was picked to pet a lizard and then we waited in line (for an hour) to get our faces painted. I ended up with two spidermans and a flower butterfly. We then had a "picnic" lunch at the food court and then made our way home.

I AM EXHAUSTED! This is why I never leave the house. It is a lot of work to make sure I don't forget any of them anywhere, to make sure no one is touching something they shouldn't be touching, to keep everything as even and fair as is humanly possible to avoid a meltdown in the middle of the mall. At home I am still the mom, but my standards are a bit more relaxed (probably because their aren't 100's of other people for my kids to bother, just me and their siblings.)

So, as fun as it was, we'll have to see about venturing out next month to the puppet show at the mall. I know my kids enjoyed it and with my girlfriends help (I NEVER could have done it without them) we all survived the event.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I'm glad you made it out to the mall with us. I know it's a lot of work, which is why I hadn't taken all my kids for a while either. But I'm always glad I did. It's a time for them to have a change of scenery and a breath of fresh air- as opposed to the stale air of the house! Glad you made the effort, Alicia! Was it really all that bad?? (Don't answer that!)