Monday, April 14, 2008

Booooo! and for What?

Last week Papa (Joel's Dad) took Josiah, Joshua, and me to the Rockies game.

The game was against the Arizona Diamondbacks, who the Rockies played in the playoffs last year. During the series with the D-Backs last year a player from Arizona, Eric Byrnes, said :

"I think we're a good team, I also don't think the Rockies have outplayed us, because they haven't. Not even close. They've had a little luck go their way. Definitely, the ball has bounced in their direction. They've been the beneficiary of some calls. So when we look at that as a group, we look back on those first two games, we have not been outplayed. If anything, I think it's the other way around, so that gives us confidence knowing that we can play with them."

He said this while the Rockies had won the first two games of the series. The Rockies ended up winning the first four games against Arizona and went to the World Series. All of this being said, most people at Rockies games don't like Eric Byrnes.

Now to the story... while at the game whenever Byrnes would come up to hit the crowd started booing very loudly. I of course was right there with them booing (Don't judge me!). The boys were very confused by why we were booing this player. I told them it was because he had not used nice words last year. Joshua then really drove the point home with this question, "Daddy, if he were to come to our house would he be mean to us?"

I stopped and of course reassured him that he wasn't going to mean to us when he came to our house, but that he wasn't always mean that he only had chosen to use mean words.

The whole thing was funny to me and since I am a regular in the Rockies dugout we decided to invite Byrnes over for dinner to work everything out. He apologized to Joshua for using mean words, and all-in-all he was a pretty nice guy.

No comments: